Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recycle, Renew, Reuse; Mantra of An Eco-Friendly Life or Just Frugal?


As a child of the sixties, my formative years were filled with an awareness of how our actions affected our environment and the greater world.

As a child of WWII Holocaust survivors, my years were also filled with not taking anything for granted, and the ever present question "you have so much money?"

The two teachings served me well into adulthood and raising my own young impressionable minds. That is, until the teen years.

What was once Mom's great commitment to our world and all of us doing our part, became "that's ghetto".  Remembering how my then husband and I secretly made fun of his World War II generation parents and how his mother saved every piece of tin foil ever used, I felt a little hurt, a little ashamed, but mostly surprised that they reacted as any teen would.

Now most of my brood is out of their teens, some even raising families of their own. We share cycling tips, yoga stories, found-art crafting and vegetarian recipes while the younger boys snicker and reach for another rib, thank you very much.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not the local Zen Mother. I still participate in filling our landfills, eat meat on occasion, weigh more than the typical yoga girl (way more), and while I may have issues with over packaging I will still buy a product wrapped in unneeded layers when I should protest.

All this is leading up to my sheer joy in finding a resource online that my daughters and I could share on our daily forays into the produce aisles, washable produce bags. Reminiscent of the ditty bags we used to make in Girl Scouts these bags come in sets and are available online at: http://washableproducebags.com/

Take them to the market, use, wash, repeat. Renew, reuse - its that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment